The 5th ELSI Congress
ELSIcon2022: Innovating for a Just and Equitable Future
ELSIcon2022 was held as a virtual event May 31-June 3, 2022.
- Research on the ethical, legal, and social implications (ELSI) of genetics research and its translation aims to anticipate and illuminate emerging issues relevant to policy and practice and fundamental questions of what it means to be human. The 5th ELSI Congress included researchers, scholars, practitioners, trainees, policymakers, journalists, community members, and all with an interest in ethics and genetics to share the latest ELSI research at ELSIcon2022.
- Justice and equity issues are embedded in the complex questions about utility, privacy, intellectual property, commercialization, and identity in the ELSI research domain and innovative ideas and methods are essential to addressing these issues. Many of the presentations stimulated a transdisciplinary dialogue on advancing equity and justice in the context of ELSI research.
- Over 1000 registrants attended the 29 panel presentations, 110 paper presentations, and 24 flash presentations at ELSIcon2022.
ELSIcon2022 keynote and plenary session speakers and topics:
- Ruqaiijah Yearby, JD, MPH - Structural Racism and Genomics
- Teresa Blankmeyer-Burke, PhD - Ableism, Audism, Ethics, and Genetics
- Keith Wailoo, PhD - Gene Editing and Gene Therapy: The Case of Sickle Cel
For more information on ELSIcon2022 including access to recordings, please email email@example.com.
To learn about plans for the 6th ELSI Congress: ELSIcon2024, please sign up for our Newsletter.
ELSIcon2022 was organized by the Division of Ethics at Columbia University and the Stanford Center for Biomedical Ethics with support from the National Human Genome Research Institute.