Topic areas of the Division of Ethics include gene sequencing and genetic testing, machine learning and medical decision-making, big data and the learning health system, and access to and equity of care. The Division is committed to supporting training in bioethics research and providing mentoring and educational programming for students and faculty interested in ethics from both research and clinical perspectives.
- Integrate humanistic perspectives and ethical reasoning to alleviate human suffering and promote justice and equity in scientific practice and clinical care.
- Conduct innovative, high-impact conceptual, normative and empirical bioethics research of emerging technologies and their translation into clinical care.
- Cultivate multi-disciplinary collaboration and engage communities and publics on ethics in research, teaching, and clinical practice.
- Contribute to local, national, and international policies by drawing on evidence-based approaches and analysis.
- Provide leadership and training in bioethics for students, faculty, and staff at Columbia University.